Meaning of hinge
Pronunciation: (hinj), [key]
— n., v., hinged, hing•ing.
- a jointed device or flexible piece on which a door, gate, shutter, lid, or other attached part turns, swings, or moves.
- a natural anatomical joint at which motion occurs around a transverse axis, as that of the knee or a bivalve shell.
- that on which something is based or depends; pivotal consideration or factor.
- Also calleda gummed sticker for affixing a stamp to a page of an album, so folded as to form a hinge, allowing the stamp to be raised to reveal the text beneath.
- to be dependent or contingent on, or as if on, a hinge (usually fol. by on or upon): Everything hinges on his decision.
- to furnish with or attach by a hinge or hinges.
- to attach as if by a hinge.
- to make or consider as dependent upon; predicate: He hinged his action on future sales.
- hinge (Thesaurus)