hereditary: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hu-red'i-ter"ē), [key]
- passing, or capable of passing, naturally from parent to offspring through the genes:Cf. congenital. Blue eyes are hereditary in our family.
- of or pertaining to inheritance or heredity: a hereditary title.
- existing by reason of feeling, opinions, or prejudices held by predecessors: a hereditary enemy.
- a hereditary proprietor.
- descending by inheritance.
- transmitted or transmissible in the line of descent by force of law.
- holding title, rights, etc., by inheritance:a hereditary proprietor.
- (of a collection of sets) signifying that each subset of a set in the collection is itself a set in the collection.
- of or pertaining to a mathematical property, as containing a greatest integer, applicable to every subset of a set that has the property.
- hereditary (Thesaurus)