Meaning of hemlock
Pronunciation: (hem'lok"), [key]
- a poisonous plant, Conium maculatum, of the parsley family, having purple-spotted stems, finely divided leaves, and umbels of small white flowers, used medicinally as a powerful sedative.
- a poisonous drink made from this plant.
- any of various other plants, esp. of the genus Cicuta, as the water hemlock.
- Also calledany of several coniferous trees of the genus Tsuga, native to the U.S., characterized by a pyramidal manner of growth. Cf. eastern hemlock, western hemlock.
- the soft, light wood of a hemlock tree, used in making paper, in the construction of buildings, etc.
- hemlock (Thesaurus)