heir: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (âr), [key]
- a person who inherits or has a right of inheritance in the property of another following the latter's death.
- (in common law) a person who inherits all the property of a deceased person, as by descent, relationship, will, or legal process.
- Civ. Law.a person who legally succeeds to the place of a deceased person and assumes the rights and obligations of the deceased, as the liabilities for debts or the possessory rights to property.
- a person who inherits or is entitled to inherit the rank, title, position, etc., of another.
- a person or group considered as inheriting the tradition, talent, etc., of a predecessor.
- to inherit; succeed to.
- heir (Thesaurus)