heap: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hēp), [key]
- a group of things placed, thrown, or lying one on another; pile: a heap of stones.
- a great quantity or number; multitude: a heap of people.
- an automobile, esp. a dilapidated one.
- We were struck all of a heap upon hearing of their divorce.
- overwhelmed with astonishment; amazed:We were struck all of a heap upon hearing of their divorce.
- suddenly; abruptly:All of a heap the room was empty.
- to gather, put, or cast in a heap; pile (often fol. by up, on, together, etc.).
- to accumulate or amass (often fol. by up or together): to heap up riches.
- to give, assign, or bestow in great quantity; load (often fol. by on or upon): to heap blessings upon someone; to heap someone with work.
- to load, supply, or fill abundantly: to heap a plate with food.
- to become heaped or piled, as sand or snow; rise in a heap or heaps (often fol. by up).
- heap (Thesaurus)