Meaning of harbor
Pronunciation: (här'bur), [key]
- a part of a body of water along the shore deep enough for anchoring a ship and so situated with respect to coastal features, whether natural or artificial, as to provide protection from winds, waves, and currents.
- such a body of water having docks or port facilities.
- any place of shelter or refuge: The old inn was a harbor for tired travelers.
- to give shelter to; offer refuge to: They harbored the refugees who streamed across the borders.
- to conceal; hide: to harbor fugitives.
- to keep or hold in the mind; maintain; entertain: to harbor suspicion.
- to house or contain.
- to shelter (a vessel), as in a harbor.
- (of a vessel) to take shelter in a harbor.
- harbor (Thesaurus)