Meaning of Gypsy
Pronunciation: ( jip'sē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -sies,
- a member of a nomadic, Caucasoid people of generally swarthy complexion, who migrated originally from India, settling in various parts of Asia, Europe, and, most recently, North America.
- Romany; the language of the Gypsies.
- (l.c.) a person held to resemble a gypsy, esp. in physical characteristics or in a traditionally ascribed freedom or inclination to move from place to place.
- (l.c.)an independent, usually nonunion trucker, hauler, operator, etc.
- (l.c.)a chorus dancer, esp. in the Broadway theater.
- (l.c.) gyp (def. 4).
- of or pertaining to the Gypsies.
- (l.c.)working independently or without a license: gypsy truckers.
- gypsy (Thesaurus)