grasp: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (grasp, gräsp), [key]
- to seize and hold by or as if by clasping with the fingers or arms.
- to seize upon; hold firmly.
- to get hold of mentally; comprehend; understand: I don't grasp your meaning.
- to make an attempt to seize, or a motion of seizing, something (usually fol. by at or for): a drowning man grasping at straws; to grasp for an enemy's rifle.
- the act of grasping or gripping, as with the hands or arms: to make a grasp at something.
- a hold or grip: to have a firm grasp of a rope.
- one's arms or hands, in embracing or gripping: He took her in his grasp.
- one's power of seizing and holding; reach: to have a thing within one's grasp.
- hold, possession, or mastery: to wrest power from the grasp of a usurper.
- mental hold or capacity; power to understand.
- broad or thorough comprehension: a good grasp of computer programming.
- grasp (Thesaurus)