governor: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (guv'ur-nur, -u-nur), [key]
- the executive head of a state in the U.S.
- a person charged with the direction or control of an institution, society, etc.: the governors of a bank; the governor of a prison.
- Also called governor general. the representative of the crown, as in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- a ruler or chief magistrate appointed to govern a province, town, fort, or the like.
- a device for maintaining uniform speed regardless of changes of load, as by regulating the supply of fuel or working fluid.
- one's father.
- one's employer.
- any man of superior rank or status.
- governor (Thesaurus)