Meaning of gong
Pronunciation: (gông, gong), [key]
- a large bronze disk, of Asian origin, having an upturned rim, that produces a vibrant, hollow tone when struck, usually with a stick or hammer that has a padded head.
- a shallow bell sounded by a hammer operated electrically or mechanically: The fire-alarm system will automatically sound the gong.
- (in a clock or watch) a rod or wire, either straight or bent into a spiral, on which the time is struck.
- a medal or military decoration.
- to sound as a gong does; ring, chime, or reverberate.
- gong (Thesaurus)