Meaning of gesture
Pronunciation: (jes'chur), [key]
— n., v., -tured, -tur•ing.
- a movement or position of the hand, arm, body, head, or face that is expressive of an idea, opinion, emotion, etc.: the gestures of an orator; a threatening gesture.
- the use of such movements to express thought, emotion, etc.
- any action, courtesy, communication, etc., intended for effect or as a formality; considered expression; demonstration: a gesture of friendship.
- to make or use a gesture or gestures.
- to express by a gesture or gestures.
- gesture (Thesaurus)