Meaning of gentleman
Pronunciation: ( jen'tl-mun), [key]
— pl. -men.
- a man of good family, breeding, or social position.
- (used as a polite term) a man: Do you know that gentleman over there?
- (used as a form of address): Gentlemen, please come this way.
- a civilized, educated, sensitive, or well-mannered man: He behaved like a true gentleman.
- a male personal servant, esp. of a man of social position; valet.
- a male attendant upon a king, queen, or other royal person, who is himself of high birth or rank.
- a man of good social standing, as a noble or an armigerous commoner.
- a man with an independent income who does not work for a living.
- a male member of the U.S. Senate or House of Representatives: The chair recognizes the gentleman from Massachusetts.
- a man who is above the rank of yeoman.
- gentleman (Thesaurus)