fur: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fûr), [key]
— n., adj., v., furred, fur•ring.
- the fine, soft, thick, hairy coat of the skin of a mammal.
- the skin of certain animals, as the sable, ermine, or beaver, covered with such a coat, used for lining, trimming, or making garments.
- a garment made of fur.
- any coating resembling or suggesting fur, as certain matter on the tongue.
- any conventional representation of a fur, as ermine, vair, potent, or their variations.
- When the kids got mad they really made the fur fly.
- to cause a scene or disturbance, esp. of a violent nature; make trouble:When the kids got mad they really made the fur fly.
- to do things quickly:She always makes the fur fly when she types.
- of or pertaining to fur, animal skins, dressed pelts, etc.: a fur coat; a fur trader.
- to line, face, or trim, with fur, as a garment.
- to apply furring to (a wall, ceiling, etc.).
- to clothe (a person) with fur.
- to coat with foul or deposited matter.
- furlong; furlongs.
- fur (Thesaurus)