Meaning of functional
Pronunciation: (fungk'shu-nl), [key]
- of or pertaining to a function or functions: functional difficulties in the administration.
- capable of operating or functioning: When will the ventilating system be functional again?
- having or serving a utilitarian purpose; capable of serving the purpose for which it was designed: functional architecture; a chair that is functional as well as decorative.
- (of a building or furnishing) constructed or made according to the principles of functionalism or primarily as a direct fulfillment of a material need.
- without a known organic cause or structural change:Cf. organic (def. 5). a functional disorder.
- pertaining to an algebraic operation: a functional symbol.
- (of linguistic analysis, language teaching, etc.) concerned with the communicative role of language rather than, in addition to, or as the framework for its formal structure.
- a function that has a domain whose elements are functions, sets, or the like, and that assumes numerical values.
- functional (Thesaurus)