function: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fungk'shun), [key]
- the kind of action or activity proper to a person, thing, or institution; the purpose for which something is designed or exists; role.
- any ceremonious public or social gathering or occasion.
- a factor related to or dependent upon other factors: Price is a function of supply and demand.
- Also calledcorrespondence,map,mapping,transformation.a relation between two sets in which one element of the second set is assigned to each element of the first set, as the expression y = x2; operator.
- Also calledmultiple-value function.a relation between two sets in which two or more elements of the second set are assigned to each element of the first set, as y2 = x2, which assigns to every x the two values y = +x and y = −x.
- a set of ordered pairs in which none of the first elements of the pairs appears twice.
- a formula expressing a relation between the angles of a triangle and its sides, as sine or cosine.
- Seehyperbolic function.
- the grammatical role a linguistic form has or the position it occupies in a particular construction.
- the grammatical roles or the positions of a linguistic form or form class collectively.
- the contribution made by a sociocultural phenomenon to an ongoing social system.
- to perform a specified action or activity; work; operate: The computer isn't functioning now. He rarely functions before noon.
- to have or exercise a function; serve: In earlier English the present tense often functioned as a future. This orange crate can function as a chair.
- function (Thesaurus)