Meaning of fraternity
Pronunciation: (fru-tûr'ni-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- a local or national organization of male students, primarily for social purposes, usually with secret initiation and rites and a name composed of two or three Greek letters.
- a group of persons associated by or as if by ties of brotherhood.
- any group or class of persons having common purposes, interests, etc.: the medical fraternity.
- an organization of laymen for religious or charitable purposes; sodality.
- the quality of being brotherly; brotherhood: liberty, equality, and fraternity.
- the relation of a brother or between brothers.
- fraternity (Thesaurus)