Meaning of fraction
Pronunciation: (frak'shun), [key]
- a number usually expressed in the form a/b.
- a ratio of algebraic quantities similarly expressed.
- (in a volatile mixture) a component whose range of boiling point temperatures allows it to be separated from other components by fractionation.
- a part as distinct from the whole of anything; portion or section: The meeting started with a fraction of us present.
- a very small part or segment of anything; minute portion: Only a fraction of the work was completed on time.
- a very small amount; a little bit: It was only a fraction away from completion.
- a piece broken off; fragment or bit.
- the act of breaking.
- (in a Eucharistic service) the breaking of the Host.
- to divide or break into fractions, sections, factions, etc.: Dissension threatens to fraction the powerful union.
- fraction (Thesaurus)