Meaning of forty
Pronunciation: (fôr'tē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -ties,
- a cardinal number, ten times four.
- a symbol for this number, as 40 or XL or XXXX.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- the numbers, years, degrees, or the like, from 40 through 49, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or degrees of temperature: His office is in the West Forties. Her parents are in their forties. The temperature will be in the forties.
- amounting to 40 in number.
- forty (Thesaurus)