Meaning of fortify
Pronunciation: (fôr'tu-fī"), [key]
— v., -fied, -fy•ing.
- to protect or strengthen against attack; surround or provide with defensive military works.
- to furnish with a means of resisting force or standing strain or wear: to fortify cotton with nylon.
- to make strong; impart strength or vigor to: to fortify oneself with a good breakfast.
- to increase the effectiveness of, as by additional ingredients: to fortify a diet with vitamins; to fortify a lotion with lanolin.
- to strengthen mentally or morally: to be fortified by religious faith.
- to confirm or corroborate: to fortify an accusation with facts.
- to add one or more ingredients to (a food) to increase its nutritional content.
- to add alcohol to (wine or the like).
- to set up defensive works; erect fortifications.
- fortify (Thesaurus)