Meaning of fortification
Pronunciation: (fôr"tu-fi-kā'shun), [key]
- the act of fortifying or strengthening.
- something that fortifies or protects.
- the art or science of constructing defensive military works.
- Often,military works constructed for the purpose of strengthening a position; a fort: Supposedly impregnable, the fortifications were quickly overrun.
- a strengthening or improvement, as by addition of or intensification with another ingredient: the fortification of milk with vitamin D; the fortification of wine with alcohol.
- fortification (Thesaurus)