Meaning of formation
Pronunciation: (fôr-mā'shun), [key]
- the act or process of forming or the state of being formed: the formation of ice.
- the manner in which a thing is formed; disposition of parts; formal structure or arrangement.
- a particular disposition of troops, as in columns, squares, etc.
- any required assembling of the soldiers of a unit.
- a body of rocks classed as a stratigraphic unit for geologic mapping. Cf. member (def. 8).
- the process of depositing rock or mineral of a particular composition or origin.
- formation (Thesaurus)