Meaning of formative
Pronunciation: (fôr'mu-tiv), [key]
- giving form or shape; forming; shaping; fashioning; molding: a formative process in manufacturing.
- pertaining to formation or development: a child's most formative years.
- formative tissue.
- capable of developing new cells or tissue by cell division and differentiation:formative tissue.
- concerned with the formation of an embryo, organ, or the like.
- pertaining to a formative.
- a derivational affix, particularly one that determines the part of speech of the derived word, as -ness, in loudness, hardness, etc.
- (in generative grammar) any element, as a word, affix, or inflectional ending, functioning as a minimal syntactic unit that can be used in forming larger constructions.
- formative (Thesaurus)