fork: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fôrk), [key]
- an instrument having two or more prongs or tines, for holding, lifting, etc., as an implement for handling food or any of various agricultural tools.
- something resembling or suggesting this in form.
- yoke (def. 9).
- a division into branches.
- the point or part at which a thing, as a river or a road, divides into branches: Bear left at the fork in the road.
- either of the branches into which a thing divides.
- (in a lever escapement) the forked end of the lever engaging with the ruby pin. See diag. under
- a principal tributary of a river.
- the support of the front wheel axles of a bicycle or motorcycle, having the shape of a two-pronged fork.
- the barbed head of an arrow.
- to pierce, raise, pitch, dig, etc., with a fork.
- to make into the form of a fork.
- to maneuver so as to place (two opponent's pieces) under simultaneous attack by the same piece.
- to divide into branches: Turn left where the road forks.
- to turn as indicated at a fork in a road, path, etc.: Fork left and continue to the top of the hill.
- to hand over; deliver; pay: Fork over the money you owe me!
- fork (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.