flux: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fluks), [key]
- a flowing or flow.
- the flowing in of the tide.
- continuous change, passage, or movement: His political views are in a state of flux.
- the rate of flow of fluid, particles, or energy.
- a quantity expressing the strength of a field of force in a given area.
- a substance used to refine metals by combining with impurities to form a molten mixture that can be readily removed.
- a substance used to remove oxides from and prevent further oxidation of fused metal, as in soldering or hot-dip coating.
- (in the refining of scrap or other metal) a salt or mixture of salts that combines with nonmetallic impurities, causing them to float or coagulate.
- to melt; make fluid.
- to fuse by the use of flux.
- to purge.
- to flow.
- flux (Thesaurus)