flush: Meaning and Definition of
- a blush; rosy glow: a flush of embarrassment on his face.
- a rushing or overspreading flow, as of water.
- a sudden rise of emotion or excitement: a flush of anger.
- glowing freshness or vigor: the flush of youth.
- a cleansing preparation that acts by flushing: an oil flush for the car's engine.
- to redden; cause to blush or glow: Winter air flushed the children's cheeks.
- to flood or spray thoroughly with water, as for cleansing purposes: They flushed the wall with water and then scrubbed it down.
- to wash out (a sewer, toilet, etc.) by a sudden rush of water.
- to remove slag from (a blast furnace).
- to spray (a coke oven) to cool the gases generated and wash away the ammonia and tars distilled.
- to animate or excite; inflame: flushed with success.
- to blush; redden.
- to flow with a rush; flow and spread suddenly.
- to operate by flushing; undergo flushing: The toilet won't flush.
- even or level, as with a surface; forming the same plane: The bottom of the window is flush with the floor.
- having direct contact; being right next to; immediately adjacent; contiguous: The table was flush against the wall.
- well-supplied, as with money; affluent; prosperous: He was feeling flush on payday.
- abundant or plentiful, as money.
- having a ruddy or reddish color; blushing.
- full of vigor; lusty.
- full to overflowing.
- even or level with the right marginor the left marginof the type page; without an indention.
- on the same level; in a straight line; without a change of plane: to be made flush with the top of the table.
- in direct contact; squarely: It was set flush against the edge.
- to make flush or even.
- to improve the nutrition of (a ewe) to bring on optimum physiological conditions for breeding.
- to send out shoots, as plants in spring.
- a fresh growth, as of shoots and leaves.
— Hunting. Hunting.
- to rouse and cause to start up or fly off: to flush a woodcock.
- to fly out or start up suddenly.
- a flushed bird or flock of birds.
— Cards. Cards.
- consisting entirely of cards of one suit: a flush hand.
- a hand or set of cards all of one suit. Cf. royal flush, straight flush.
- a meld of ace, king, queen, jack, and ten of the trump suit. Cf. marriage (def. 8),
- flush (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.