fluke: Meaning and Definition of
- the part of an anchor that catches in the ground, esp. the flat triangular piece at the end of each arm. See diag. under
- a barb, or the barbed head, of a harpoon, spear, arrow, or the like.
- either half of the triangular tail of a whale.
- an accidental advantage; stroke of good luck: He got the job by a fluke.
- an accident or chance happening.
- an accidentally successful stroke, as in billiards.
- any of several American flounders of the genus Paralichthys, esp. P. dentatus, found in the Atlantic Ocean.
- any of various other flatfishes.
- a trematode.
- fluke (Thesaurus)