Meaning of flood
Pronunciation: (flud), [key]
- a great flowing or overflowing of water, esp. over land not usually submerged.
- any great outpouring or stream: a flood of tears.
- the universal deluge recorded as having occurred in the days of Noah. Gen. 7.
- the rise or flowing in of the tide (opposed to ebb).
- a floodlight.
- a large body of water.
- to overflow in or cover with a flood; fill to overflowing: Don't flood the bathtub.
- to cover or fill, as if with a flood: The road was flooded with cars.
- to overwhelm with an abundance of something: to be flooded with mail.
- to supply too much fuel to (the carburetor), so that the engine fails to start.
- to floodlight.
- to flow or pour in or as if in a flood.
- to rise in a flood; overflow.
- to suffer uterine hemorrhage, esp. in connection with childbirth.
- to have an excessive menstrual flow.
- flood (Thesaurus)