Meaning of flank
Pronunciation: (flangk), [key]
- the side of an animal or a person between the ribs and hip.
- the thin piece of flesh constituting this part.
- a slice of meat from the flank of an animal.
- the side of anything, as of a building.
- the extreme right or left side of an army or fleet, or a subdivision of an army or fleet.
- the right or left side of a work or fortification.
- the part of a bastion that extends from the curtain to the face and protects the curtain and the opposite face. See diag. underbastion.
- (on a screw thread or the like) either of the two vertical inclined surfaces between the crest and the root.
- to stand or be placed or posted at the flank or side of.
- to defend or guard at the flank.
- to menace or attack the flank of.
- to pass around or turn the flank of.
- to occupy a position at the flank or side.
- to present the flank or side.
- flank (Thesaurus)