fixation: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fik-sā'shun), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- the act of fixing or the state of being fixed.
- reduction from a volatile or fluid to a stable or solid form.
- the process of converting atmospheric nitrogen into a useful compound, as a nitrate fertilizer.
- the process of rendering an image permanent by removal of light-sensitive silver halides.
- a partial arrest of emotional and instinctual development at an early point in life, due to a severe traumatic experience or an overwhelming gratification.
- a preoccupation with one subject, issue, etc.; obsession: All her life she had a fixation on stories of violent death.