first class: Meaning and Definition of
- the best, finest, or highest class, grade, or rank.
- the most expensive and most luxurious class of accommodation on trains, ships, airplanes, etc.
- (in the U.S. Postal Service) the class of mail consisting of letters, postal cards, or the like, together with all mailable matter sealed against inspection.
- the group receiving the highest distinction in an honors course.
Pronunciation: (fûrst'klas', -kläs'), [key]
- of the highest or best class or quality: a first-class movie.
- best-equipped and most expensive: a first-class railroad car.
- given or entitled to preferred treatment, handling, etc.: first-class mail.
- by first-class conveyance: to travel first-class.