Meaning of fasten
Pronunciation: (fas'un, fä'sun), [key]
- to attach firmly or securely in place; fix securely to something else.
- to make secure, as an article of dress with buttons, clasps, etc., or a door with a lock, bolt, etc.
- to enclose securely, as a person or an animal (usually fol. by in): to fasten a monkey in a cage.
- to attach, associate, or connect: to fasten a nickname on someone.
- to direct (the eyes, thoughts, etc.) intently: to fasten one's eyes on a speaker.
- to become fast, fixed, or firm.
- to close firmly or securely; lock: This clasp won't fasten.
- to take a firm hold; seize (usually fol. by on or upon): to fasten on an idea.
- to focus attention; concentrate (usually fol. by on or upon): His gaze fastened on the jewels.
- fasten (Thesaurus)