Meaning of family
Pronunciation: (fam'u-lē, fam'lē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -lies,
- parents and their children, considered as a group, whether dwelling together or not.
- the children of one person or one couple collectively: We want a large family.
- the spouse and children of one person: We're taking the family on vacation next week.
- any group of persons closely related by blood, as parents, children, uncles, aunts, and cousins: to marry into a socially prominent family.
- all those persons considered as descendants of a common progenitor.
- approved lineage, esp. noble, titled, famous, or wealthy ancestry: young men of family.
- a group of persons who form a household under one head, including parents, children, and servants.
- the staff, or body of assistants, of an official: the office family.
- a group of related things or people: the family of romantic poets; the halogen family of elements.
- a group of people who are generally not blood relations but who share common attitudes, interests, or goals and, frequently, live together: Many hippie communes of the sixties regarded themselves as families.
- a group of products or product models made by the same manufacturer or producer.
- the usual major subdivision of an order or suborder in the classification of plants, animals, fungi, etc., usually consisting of several genera.
- a unit of the Mafia or Cosa Nostra operating in one area under a local leader.
- the largest category into which languages related by common origin can be classified with certainty:Cf. stock (def. 12),(def. 2). Indo-European, Sino-Tibetan, and Austronesian are the most widely spoken families of languages.
- a given class of solutions of the same basic equation, differing from one another only by the different values assigned to the constants in the equation.
- a class of functions or the like defined by an expression containing a parameter.
- a set.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a family: a family trait.
- belonging to or used by a family: a family automobile; a family room.
- a family amusement park.
- suitable or appropriate for adults and children:a family amusement park.
- not containing obscene language:a family newspaper.
- family (Thesaurus)