familiar: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fu-mil'yur), [key]
- commonly or generally known or seen: a familiar sight.
- well-acquainted; thoroughly conversant: to be familiar with a subject.
- informal; easygoing; unceremonious; unconstrained: to write in a familiar style.
- closely intimate or personal: a familiar friend; to be on familiar terms.
- unduly intimate; too personal; taking liberties; presuming: The duchess disliked familiar servants.
- domesticated; tame.
- of or pertaining to a family or household.
- a familiar friend or associate.
- an animal, as a cat, that embodies a supernatural spirit and aids a witch in performing magic.
- Seefamiliar spirit.
- an officer of the Inquisition, employed to arrest accused or suspected persons.
- a person who belongs to the household of the pope or of a bishop, rendering domestic though not menial service.
- familiar (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.