Meaning of expansion
Pronunciation: (ik-span'shun), [key]
- the act or process of expanding.
- the state or quality of being expanded.
- the amount or degree of expanding.
- an expanded, dilated, or enlarged portion or form of a thing: The present article is an expansion of one he wrote last year.
- anything spread out; expanse.
- the development at length of an expression indicated in a contracted form, as a2 + 2ab + b2 for the expression (a + b)2.
- any mathematical series that converges to a function for specified values in the domain of the function, as 1 + x + x2 + … for 1/(1 − x) when x &desc; 1.
- that part of the operation of an engine in which the volume of the working medium increases and its pressure decreases.
- an increase in economic and industrial activity (opposed to contraction).
- expansion (Thesaurus)