examine: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ig-zam'in), [key]
— -ined, -in•ing.
- to inspect or scrutinize carefully: to examine a prospective purchase.
- to observe, test, or investigate (a person's body or any part of it), esp. in order to evaluate general health or determine the cause of illness.
- to inquire into or investigate: to examine one's motives.
- to test the knowledge, reactions, or qualifications of (a pupil, candidate, etc.), as by questions or assigning tasks.
- to subject to legal inquisition; put to question in regard to conduct or to knowledge of facts; interrogate: to examine a witness; to examine a suspect.
- examine (Thesaurus)