establish: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (i-stab'lish), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- to found, institute, build, or bring into being on a firm or stable basis: to establish a university; to establish a medical practice.
- to install or settle in a position, place, business, etc.: to establish one's child in business.
- to show to be valid or true; prove: to establish the facts of the matter.
- to cause to be accepted or recognized: to establish a custom; She established herself as a leading surgeon.
- to bring about permanently: to establish order.
- to enact, appoint, or ordain for permanence, as a law; fix unalterably.
- to make (a church) a national or state institution.
- to obtain control of (a suit) so that one can win all the subsequent tricks in it.