essential: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-sen'shul), [key]
- absolutely necessary; indispensable: Discipline is essential in an army.
- pertaining to or constituting the essence of a thing.
- noting or containing an essence of a plant, drug, etc.
- being such by its very nature or in the highest sense; natural; spontaneous: essential happiness.
- (of a singularity of a function of a complex variable) noting that the Laurent series at the point has an infinite number of terms with negative powers.
- (of a discontinuity) noting that the function is discontinuous and has no limit at the point. Cf. removable (def. 2).
- a basic, indispensable, or necessary element; chief point: Concentrate on essentials rather than details.
- essential (Thesaurus)