environment: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (en-vī'run-munt, -vī'urn-), [key]
- the aggregate of surrounding things, conditions, or influences; surroundings; milieu.
- the air, water, minerals, organisms, and all other external factors surrounding and affecting a given organism at any time.
- the social and cultural forces that shape the life of a person or a population.
- the hardware or software configuration, or the mode of operation, of a computer system: In a time-sharing environment, transactions are processed as they occur.
- an indoor or outdoor setting that is characterized by the presence of environmental art that is itself designed to be site-specific.
- environment (Thesaurus)