embryo: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (em'brē-ō"), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -os,
- the young of a viviparous animal, esp. of a mammal, in the early stages of development within the womb, in humans up to the end of the second month. Cf. fetus.
- the rudimentary plant usually contained in the seed.
- any multicellular animal in a developmental stage preceding birth or hatching.
- the beginning or rudimentary stage of anything: He charged that the party policy was socialism in embryo.
- a combining form representingin compound words: embryology.
- embryo (Thesaurus)