ego: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ē'gō, eg'ō), [key]
— pl. e•gos.
- the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.
- the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world and thus mediates between the primitive drives of the id and the demands of the social and physical environment.
- egotism; conceit; self-importance: Her ego becomes more unbearable each day.
- self-esteem or self-image; feelings: Your criticism wounded his ego.
- (often cap.)
- the enduring and conscious element that knows experience.
- Scholasticism.the complete person comprising both body and soul.
- a person who serves as the central reference point in the study of organizational and kinship relationships.
- ego (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.