Meaning of douse
Pronunciation: (dous), [key]
— v., n., doused, dous•ing,
- to plunge into water or the like; drench: She doused the clothes in soapy water.
- to splash or throw water or other liquid on: The children doused each other with the hose.
- to extinguish: She quickly doused the candle's flame with her fingertips.
- to remove; doff.
- to lower or take in (a sail, mast, or the like) suddenly.
- to slacken (a line) suddenly.
- to stow quickly.
- to plunge or be plunged into a liquid.
- a stroke or blow.
- douse (Thesaurus)