Meaning of dolphin
Pronunciation: (dol'fin, dôl'-), [key]
- any of several chiefly marine, cetacean mammals of the family Delphinidae, having a fishlike body, numerous teeth, and the front of the head elongated into a beaklike projection.
- Also calledeither of two large, slender fishes, Coryphaena hippurus or C. equisetis, of warm and temperate seas.
- a pile, cluster of piles, or buoy to which a vessel may be moored in open water.
- a cluster of piles used as a fender, as at the entrance to a dock.
- a pudding fender at the nose of a tugboat or on the side of a vessel.
- (cap.)the constellation Delphinus.
- dolphin (Thesaurus)