distinguish: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-sting'gwish), [key]
- to mark off as different (often fol. by from or by): He was distinguished from the other boys by his height.
- to recognize as distinct or different; recognize the salient or individual features or characteristics of: It is hard to distinguish her from her twin sister.
- to perceive clearly by sight or other sense; discern; recognize: He could not distinguish many of the words.
- to set apart as different; be a distinctive characteristic of; characterize: It is his Italian accent that distinguishes him.
- to make prominent, conspicuous, or eminent: to distinguish oneself in battle.
- to divide into classes; classify: Let us distinguish the various types of metaphor.
- to single out for or honor with special attention.
- to indicate or show a difference (usually fol. by between).
- to recognize or note differences; discriminate.
- distinguish (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.