Meaning of directory
Pronunciation: (di-rek'tu-rē, -trē, dī-), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -ries,
- a book containing an alphabetical index of the names and addresses of persons in a city, district, organization, etc., or of a particular category of people.
- a board or tablet on a wall of a building listing the room and floor numbers of the occupants.
- a book of directions.
- a list of files contained in external storage.
- a description of characteristics of a particular file, as the layout of fields within each record.
- the body of five directors forming the executive power of France from 1795 to 1799.
- serving to direct; directing; directive.
- directory (Thesaurus)