dame: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (dām), [key]
- (cap.) (in Britain)
- the official title of a female member of the Order of the British Empire, equivalent to that of a knight.
- the official title of the wife of a knight or baronet.
- (formerly) a form of address to any woman of rank or authority.
- a matronly woman of advanced age; matron.
- a woman; female.
- a title of a nun in certain orders.
- a mistress of a dame-school.
- the mistress of a household.
- a woman of rank or authority, esp. a female ruler.
- dame (Thesaurus)