Meaning of cultivate
Pronunciation: (kul'tu-vāt"), [key]
— -vat•ed, -vat•ing.
- to prepare and work on (land) in order to raise crops; till.
- to use a cultivator on.
- to promote or improve the growth of (a plant, crop, etc.) by labor and attention.
- to produce by culture: to cultivate a strain of bacteria.
- to develop or improve by education or training; train; refine: to cultivate a singing voice.
- to promote the growth or development of (an art, science, etc.); foster.
- to devote oneself to (an art, science, etc.).
- to seek to promote or foster (friendship, love, etc.).
- to seek the acquaintance or friendship of (a person).
- cultivate (Thesaurus)