Pronunciation: (krisp), [key]
— adj., v., n. -er, -est,
- (esp. of food) hard but easily breakable; brittle: crisp toast.
- (esp. of food) firm and fresh; not soft or wilted: a crisp leaf of lettuce.
- brisk; sharp; clear; decided: a crisp reply.
- lively; pithy; sparkling: crisp repartee.
- clean-cut, neat, and well-pressed; well-groomed.
- bracing; invigorating: crisp air.
- crinkled, wrinkled, or rippled, as skin or water.
- in small, stiff, or firm curls; curly.
- to make or become crisp.
- to curl.
- a dessert of fruit, as apples or apricots, baked with a crunchy mixture, usually of bread crumbs, chopped nutmeats, butter, and brown sugar.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.