crime: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (krīm), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state and that is legally prohibited.
- criminal activity and those engaged in it: to fight crime.
- the habitual or frequent commission of crimes: a life of crime.
- any offense, serious wrongdoing, or sin.
- a foolish, senseless, or shameful act: It's a crime to let that beautiful garden go to ruin.