Meaning of crescendo
Pronunciation: (kri-shen'dō, -sen'dōIt.kre-shen'dô), [key]
— n., pl. adj., adv., v. -dos, -di
- The crescendo by the violins is too abrupt.
- a gradual, steady increase in loudness or force.
- a musical passage characterized by such an increase.
- the performance of a crescendo passage:The crescendo by the violins is too abrupt.
- a steady increase in force or intensity: The rain fell in a crescendo on the rooftops.
- the climactic point or moment in such an increase; peak: The authorities finally took action when public outrage reached a crescendo.
- gradually increasing in force, volume, or loudness (opposed to decrescendo or diminuendo).
- to grow in force or loudness.
- crescendo (Thesaurus)