covenant: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kuv'u-nunt), [key]
- an agreement, usually formal, between two or more persons to do or not do something specified.
- an incidental clause in such an agreement.
- a solemn agreement between the members of a church to act together in harmony with the precepts of the gospel.
- SeeNational Covenant.
- SeeSolemn League and Covenant.
- the conditional promises made to humanity by God, as revealed in Scripture.
- the agreement between God and the ancient Israelites, in which God promised to protect them if they kept His law and were faithful to Him.
- a formal agreement of legal validity, esp. one under seal.
- an early English form of action in suits involving sealed contracts.
- to enter into a covenant.
- to promise by covenant; pledge.
- to stipulate.
- covenant (Thesaurus)